7.07.2007

Sommelier Inquisition Continues



I've received a lot of questions about the role of a Sommelier and the methods of certification. I think Wikipedia does a fine job explaining title, so I won't drone on about the details. I personally studied through the International Sommelier Guild because I wanted more of an immersion than The Court of Master Sommeliers offers, and am currently certified as a level II Sommelier.

Here is the key difference between the institutions:

The ISG is the only Board of Education licensed provider of sommelier training and certification in North America.
The Court of Master Sommeliers is the most internationally recognized organization that certifies professional sommeliers.


There are four levels any way you slice it, resulting in the title of Grand Sommelier through the ISG or Master Sommelier through the Court. I may continue with the ISG for my level III certification, but intend to take final exam through the Court (sadly, I may have to re-take previous exams for the coveted title of Master).

For the first two sommelier levels, students with the ISG spend a total of 78 hours with an instructor in a classroom setting (going over the materials and information to be covered on the exam). It's basically an extended Wine Lab that meets once a week for 7-8 hours a clip that'll set you back about $1,500 (I suggest that you bring your own stemware). Not only did I take away an immense amount of information, but I physically learned how to taste (and further describe the palate).

To accomplish the same feat through the Court, you will be instructed for two days by monsters of the field (people like Doug Frost who is both a Master Sommelier and a Master of Wine; 1 of 3 people in the world to hold down both titles). If you don't already have a grasp on the subject matter this may be an intimidating proposition, and is an expensive test to fail (although altogether more cost effective if you don't believe you would benefit from further instruction).

The exams are basically the same regardless of the path taken. There is a multiple-choice theory exam required to move on from the fundamental level. If you plan on continuing onto level II, I would suggest piggybacking the tests to accommodate for possible travel needs and to assist in retention.

The level two exam also contains a multiple choice portion that is followed by a written essay, a short answer section, a service exhibition, and a tasting exam that includes a blind portion (special stemware is used).

If you are interested in wine but not willing to put up the money to certify your cork dorkiness, attend a wine tasting in your area, experiment on your own, and ask questions of whomever you deem nerdier than thou. I won't take offense if I am that person for you, seeing as you were already suckered into reading my blog and its existence renders me already a nerd.





Digg!

No comments: